US EIA: Marcellus Gas Pipelines Expanding Rapidly

by Duane Nichols on September 26, 2013

Henry Hub Spot Gas Prices

Marcellus gas pipeline capacity seen rising 0.5 Bcf/d by month’s end; additional expansions expected this winter

From: US Energy Information Administration, September 19, 2013

Initial service could begin by the end of September for two projects that would increase natural gas takeaway capacity from the Marcellus Shale formation by a combined 0.5 billion cubic feet per day (Bcf/d).

These two projects are a 7.9 mile, 0.23 Bcf/d looping pipeline added to Kinder Morgan’s Tennessee Gas Pipeline (TGP) (known as the MPP Project’s “313 Loop”) and a 2.5 mile, 0.22 Bcf/d pipeline connecting NiSource’s Columbia Gas Transmission (TCO) pipeline to a 1,329-megawatt gas-fired Dominion power plant (known as the Warren County Extension project). Notably, these would be the first of several projects increasing natural gas takeaway capacity from Marcellus planned for completion this winter.

On September 13, TGP applied to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) to begin service this coming Monday, September 23 on the 313 Loop, as well as the MPP Project’s planned upgrades to an adjacent compressor station in northern Pennsylvania’s Potter County. Service under its firm transportation agreements, however, would not begin until the originally agreed-upon date of November 1. By that date, TGP also plans to complete upgrades to three compressor stations in northern Pennsylvania west of Potter County to allow for bidirectional flow of natural gas.

Columbia’s TCO requested FERC permission on September 6 to begin service on September 30 on the Warren County Extension pipeline in Northern Virginia. This project also includes upgrades to compressor stations along TCO’s line carrying Marcellus gas east from West Virginia as well as the replacement of TCO’s interconnect with Williams’s Transcontinental Gas Pipeline (Transco), near Rockville, Maryland, which carries gas through the mid-Atlantic and into New York City.

Additional Marcellus gas takeaway capacity expected to come into service this winter includes:

{ 2 comments… read them below or add one }

Duane Nichols September 28, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Unregulated Natural Gas Gathering Lines & Pipelines Pose New Risks

Of the nation’s 240,000 miles of NATURAL GAS gathering lines, only about 10 percent are regulated. When leaks or accidents occur on the remaining 90 percent, operators aren’t required to notify regulators. In most cases, state and federal officials don’t even know where these lines are located.


J. C. Cross October 3, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Drilling mud is spilled during Ohio pipeline job. .. …

October 03, 2013 — By Julie Smyth, Columbus, Ohio (AP) — Environmental regulators in Ohio are investigating the cause of a significant spill of the clay lubricant bentonite during construction of an underground pipeline in eastern Ohio. Ohio Environmental Protection Agency said the material was released Tuesday in Harrison County, northeast of Cadiz. The material ran into Conotton Creek and directly impacted two private homeowners. The EPA was assessing enforcement options against the contractors, Southeast Directional Drilling Co. The ATEX pipeline will extend across 265 miles in Ohio and parts of three other states, connecting to existing lines to transport liquid hydrocarbon products between Pennsylvania and Texas. 

Read More at:


Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: