The Human Story
This page is dedicated to compiling the reports of people dealing with water contamination, air pollution, loss of property value, and sickness due to fracking near their homes. The Academy Award nominated movie Gasland documented the experiences of people with hydraulic fracturing principally in the Western US. Reports are coming in now that the same kind of incidents are occurring in the Marcellus shale region i.e. New York, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and parts of Maryland, Virginia, and Ohio. Now that the rich Utica shale in Ohio is in play, we expect to have more stories from that state.
The Woodell story, Taylor Co – a spill of industrial fluid occurred above the Woodell spring. But the family wasn’t notified and no information is forthcoming from EQT or the WVDEP.
Dennis and Tamera Hagy, Jackson Co. The family in Romance, WV has filed suit claiming that the neurologic disease they suffer is the result of ingesting contaminated water from their well.
Marcellus Drilling by Antero on Indian Run in Harrison County at 1:58 AM at Night – You Tube
Video of drilling by Antero on Indian Run, Harrison Co.
Danny and Sharon Kinney, Doddridge County – Their well water is contaminated with arsenic and lead. 3/8/2012
Bradford County. On the Water and More blog, the impacts on families in Bradford County are recounted. Among those , the well water at the home of Carl Stiles and his wife Judy was contaminated with heavy metals. A toxicologist found barium, arsenic, and VOCs (volatile organic chemicals) in Carl’s blood. Strontium, uranium and radium were found in their water. The radiation level in the home is 13.7 or 7 times that set by EPA as a standard not to be exceeded. Carl died of intestinal cancer on January 26, 2012. He blamed the cancer on the contaminated water. Judy developed stomach pain and skin rashes and continues to be afflicted with pain after moving from the home. Both Judy and Carl were told by their doctor to expect to die of leukemia within 2 years. Here is their story in a letter written by Carl and Judy.
Kim McEvoy, Connoquenessing Township, Butler Co, PA. Her water is contaminated with arsenic and methyl chloride. 8-10-11
Crystal Stroud testimony, Bradford Co, PA public meeting
April 28, 2011 “Our family is just collateral damage.”
The Haney family suffered serious illness from arsenic poisoning. Stacey Haney, of Washington County, PA., Registered Nurse and Mom of two teen age children shared her family’s experiences living nearby to a Marcellus Gas drilling site and a seven acre impoundment pool. The family had leased their land to Range, after being promised there would be no problems. But problems soon became apparent. Stacey’s dog and the neighbor’s dog both died. Their goat, with two young also died. An autopsy reveled arsenic in the neighbor’s dog. The assumption was the animals were sickened by arsenic contaminated waste water from Range’s drilling activities. Stacey’s horse became sick. Stacey and her children also became sick. Her son was twice hospitalized with stomach (liver and kidney) pain, nausea, fatigue and mouth ulcers, forcing him to remain out of school for a year and a half. Stacey and her daughter experienced similar symptoms. Both were tested for arsenic poisoning. Stacey suffered high levels and her daughter lower levels of arsenic poisoning. The water smelled bad Stacey said, and later, after the family started using bottled water, their symptoms receded. After being contacted by Stacey the PADEP found Ethel glycol and arsenic in water samples. She said DEP was not helpful.
The Hallowich Family, Hickory, Pa. Story with photos.
The Hallowich Family, a National Geographic story on how water contamination and industrialization of a rural area has ruined one family’s dream.
Joyce Mitchell, Hickory, Pa. Joyce has garnered financial gain from leasing to Range Resources but endures the smell of fumes and has concerns about the safety of her drinking water.
Pennsylvania Farmers Terry Greenwood and Ron Gulla in Washington County Relate How Drilling Has Ruined Water and Caused Cattle Deaths
Jeremiah Gee, Tioga County. Family’s well water is contaminated with thermogenic methane following well completion (fracking) operations by Shell.
Smith Family, water contamination,Dish, Texas
Calvin Tillman and other residents of Dish, Texas. Mayor Tillman decided to move from Dish rather than live in a place that was making his sons sick.
Rebekah Sheffield, Dish
Amber Smith and Family, Dish, Texas Their water became contaminated with sediment, arsenic, lead, butanone, acetone, carbon disulfide, strontium, as well as other heavy metals, all above safe drinking water standards.
Susan Wallace-Babb, Parachute, Colo. ”On a summer evening in June 2005, Susan Wallace-Babb went out into a neighbor’s field near her ranch in Western Colorado to close an irrigation ditch. She parked down the rutted double-track, stepped out of her truck into the low-slung sun, took a deep breath and collapsed, unconscious.” Propublica story Science Lags as Health Problems Emerge Near Gas Fields.
The Greens and the Strudleys, Video by NY Times The Greens decided to move from Garfield County and experiencing illness and losing chickens and goats.
Laura Amos, Garfield Co, Colorado. Laura developed an adrenal tumor of a rare type associated with exposure to a fracking fluid chemical. Her water was contaminated but she was told that it was safe.
Rosebud, Alberta Jessica Ernst claims that her water was contaminated with toxic compounds by nearby hydrofracking.